Welcome! Membership runs from January 1 to December 31 each year. Watch for online registration coming soon!
Benefits of Membership
- West Virginia Libraries: this official publication of the association is published six times a year. A subscription is free with your membership.
- Opportunities for professional growth: WVLA holds two conferences each year: the Spring Fling and the Annual Conference. Additionally, the association or one of its divisions may hold workshops or events at other times of the year. Members receive discounts to all association events.
- A network of support: The association strives to provide a support network for its members, so that members have easy access to resources, information, peers, and experts in the field of librarianship.
- Eligibility for scholarships & awards: Scholarships are given to help members obtain a Masters Degree in Library Science. Awards are given annually to individuals who make significant contributions to the library community.
- A forum for exchange of ideas & information: As a member you will have access to the expertise of hundreds of individuals working in the library field via conferences, workshops, publications, discussion lists, and informal interaction with other members.
- Opportunities for job seekers: Members can network with potential employers and explore employment opportunities at conferences, through online discussion lists, and through informal interaction with other members.
- Leadership opportunities: Members are encouraged serve on or chair roundtables, committees, and divisions within the association.
- Access to the larger library community: The association is an affiliate of the American Library Association, the largest library association in the world. In addition, some of the divisions are officially affiliated with other national library organizations.
- Advocacy: WVLA is active in all areas of state legislation concerning libraries, and employs a lobbyist to ensure that library issues are adequately addressed at the state level.
- The membership of the West Virginia Library Association (WVLA) is comprised of over 700 members ranging from librarians and paraprofessionals to trustees and friends.
- WVLA is organized into six divisions: College & University, Friends, Public, Schools, Special and Trustees. In addition to divisions, members may join roundtables and be appointed to the many committees that further the work of the association.
- WVLA is governed by a constitution and bylaws.
- The Executive Board consists of the following officers: President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. Other members of the Executive Board are: Immediate Past-President, ALA Councilor, Division Chairs and Roundtable Representative. Additional non-voting members of the Executive Board include Executive Secretary of the West Virginia Library Commission, Supervisor of School Library Services of the West Virginia Department of Education, Federal Relations Coordinator, Southeastern Library Association (SELA) Representative, and the Editor of West Virginia Libraries. For a list of the current Executive Board members and minutes of recent Executive Board meetings, click on the “Executive Board” link in the “Links” section of this page.